During 2015-2016, the Friends accomplished the following:
- $40,000 to the GPPL for many programs, such as STEP (an after-school program) and an event featuring children’s author Jennifer Holm on March 3, 2016.
- $10,000 to the Books on the Lake Event at the GPYC (May 2016).
- Sponsor of Authors to the Pointe (October 2015).
- $1500 to the GPPL for library staff development from the Friends’ Orr fund.
- $500 for library fees for Friends’ members Free DVD Days.
- Purchased the GPPL bookmarks that had been discontinued due to library cuts.
- Purchased supplies to repair the bench in front of Central Library, donated by Friends to the GPPL several years ago.
- The Friends of the Grosse Pointe Library organization currently has 650 Memberships.
- Sponsored the Halloween Costume Sale provided gently-used costumes and Halloween books for sale, netting $600 for Friends’ Programs (October 2015).
- Distributed more than 1600 new books to children at “Trick or Read” in the Village (October 2015).
- Sponsored Books, Bags, and Bagels, selling gently used purses donated from our generous patrons, and earning $1,470 for Friends’ programs (March 2016).
- Sold cards and handmade items at “Gifts of the Season” (December 2015).
- Sponsored a panel discussion featuring Oakland University and University of Michigan professors on Harper Lee and her book Go Set a Watchman (October 2015).
- Sponsored native Grosse Pointe author Lisa Goich speaking on her book 14 Days: A Mother, a Daughter, a Two-Week Goodbye (December 2015).
- Sponsored National Book Award Finalist Angela Flournoy to discuss her book The Turner House (January 2016).
- Sponsored author Charles Leerhsen to speak about his book Ty Cobb: A Terrible Beauty (March 2015).
- Sponsored the Classic Books Lecture Series, now in its 14th year, bringing esteemed professors from the University of Michigan to Grosse Pointe with interesting and exciting lectures (February – May 2016). .
- Presented GPPL Assistant Director Peggy Kitchel speaking on recommended new books at “Between the Covers” (April 2016).
- Presented Tim Kiska, author of several books on Detroit entertainment, at the Friends’ Annual meeting (May 2016).
- Held a Christmas luncheon for all Friends’ volunteers and library staff (December 2015).
- Helped with the purchase of three “Little Libraries” and supplied them with more than 12 boxes of books, a Grosse Pointe Rotary Club project (Summer 2015).
- Joined with the Grosse Pointe Branch of the American Association of University Women (GPAAUW) to present Sandra Novacek on her book Border Crossings (September 2015).
- Joined with GPAAUW, League of Women Voters of Grosse Pointe, Dining for Women – Grosse Pointe Chapter, and the Grosse Pointe Historical Society to present the movie “Suffragette” at the Woods Branch for Women’s History Month (March 2016)
- Celebrated National Library Week with the GPPL Foundation, offering donuts and coffee at each library for two days (March 2016).
Friends Down Under/Used Book Sales
- Continued to sell thousands of books, videos, music CDs and audiobooks at the Friends Down Under Bookstore, and on the Internet, earning over $17,600 for 2015.
- Used Book sales at the Woods and Ewald Branches, along with lobby and book cart sales at Woods, Ewald, and Central, and in the Central showcase netted over $18,400 for the GPPL for 2015.
- Had a vendor booth selling used books at both the GP Village Sidewalk Sale (July 2015) and the GP Village Fest (September 2015).
- Donated thousand of books to Focus Hope food banks and preschool, Detroit jails, American House, Goodwill, Giving Pack, and Detroit reading programs.
- Grosse Pointe News had a full-page feature article on the Friends Down Under bookstore (March 2016).
- The City Councils of all the Grosse Pointes recognized the Friends for their contributions to the GPPL during National Friends of the Library week (September 2015).
- Reached over 600 Likes on our Facebook page