Friends Down Under
In the Lower Level of the Woods Library, operated by the Friends of the Grosse Pointe Public Library
Friends Down Under is the used Bookstore run by the Friends of the Grosse Pointe Library. The store provides a way to raise money for the library's Friends' programs, recycle books, and offers a fantastic variety of media at amazing prices. We get new books all the time so stop by often!!
Hours at the Woods Branch lower level
- Saturday 12 - 4 p.m.
- Tuesday 6 - 8 p.m.
- Most hard covers- $1.00
- Trade sized paperbacks- $1.00
- Pocket paperbacks- $.50
We always need volunteers to sell and shelve at the store and at our other library book sales during the year. Please join the Friends and give us a hand. Call 313-343-2074 x204 for more information.
If you would like to volunteer in the bookstore click on the link below to sign up for February. http://www.wejoinin.com/sheets/gkyzt
For people interested in volunteering in the Friends bookstore in March, click on this link. http://www.wejoinin.com/sheets/tumvv
WE RELY SOLELY ON DONATIONS (see left hand side of this page for what we do and don't accept)
Donations can be dropped off at the GP Woods Branch Library during library hours. Tax-deductible forms are available at the circulation desk.
PLEASE READ BEFORE DONATING BOOKS
We wish we could take every book offered but due to storage limitations and safety issues we must limit the books we can accept.
When donating books:
1. Books must be in boxes or bags and left in the containers.
2. You must bring in the books yourself. The library staff cannot help but they will provide you with rolling carts to transport the books from your car.
3. If you have a large quantity of books (more than 4 boxes) call our Friends of the GPPL phone line – (313)343-2074 x 204, leave a message and we will call you back.
4. We greatly appreciate the books being delivered to the Woods Branch Library where the Friends Down Under Bookstore is located.
Other places that may accept the books we do not…
- Friends of the Hazel Park Library – Barbara Winter, (248)544-1439
- Goodwill Industries of Greater Detroit-3111 Grand River Ave., Detroit, MI 48208, (734)981-1692
- Salvation Army, 31015 Harper, St. Clair Shores, (586) 541-0397
- St. Clare of Montefalco Catholic School, 16231 Charlevoix St, Grosse Pointe Park, (313) 647-5100
What you can do with books no one will accept:
- PAPERBACKS (not hard backs) can be put in paper recycle bins at most Grosse Pointe schools and churches.
- HARDBACKS can be taken to Royal Oak Waste Paper & Metal Co., 414 E. Hudson, Royal Oak, www.royaloakrecycling.com
All proceeds benefit the programs of the Friends of the Grosse Pointe Public Library